Pharmacia ALF problem

Jeffrey Keen t.keen at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jan 19 11:51:41 EST 1995

Has anybody had the same problem as me with their Pharmacia ALF sequencer?

What has developed is that I am getting a very high peak of fluorescense
(way off scale) passing through the gel just before the primer peak.
Pre-running the gel appears to allow the contamination to pass through the
gel before loading, but still leaves a residual background of around 45%.
The fluorescense isn't noisy so doesn't affect the sequence (as far as I
can tell anyway).
I've stopped using our own RO water and just use Merck Analar stuff
without getting rid of the problem. Swapping detergents doesn't seem to
help either.

Any suggestions

Jeffrey Keen
t.keen at ucl.ac.uk