CSH Genome Sequencing Course

molly myers mmyers at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 31 10:01:01 EST 1995

In <9501132201.AA01898 at watson.wustl.edu> rwilson at WATSON.WUSTL.EDU (Rick
Wilson) writes:

>Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
>
>ADVANCED GENOME SEQUENCE ANALYSIS 	March 14 - 27, 1995
>
>Correspondence should be addressed to:
>"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
>The Meetings Office
>1 Bungtown Road, P.O. Box 100
>Cold Spring Harbor
>New York 11724-2213
>
>Phone: (meetings)    516 367 8346
>	   (courses)   516 367 8345
>Fax:		         516 367 8845
>E-mail: meetings at cshl.org
>World wide web site at http://www.cshl.org/
>"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>CONTENTS
>
>1) Introduction
>2) Full description of course (dates, instructors, description,
application deadline)
>3) Short list of meetings and courses
>4) Information for course applicants
>5) 1995 course price
>6) Sponsors of the 1994 Courses Program
>7) Getting to Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
>8) General information about Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
>
>Application forms and further information can be obtained from the
above address.

>1) Introduction
>
>Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is a non-profit independent research and
educational institution chartered by the University of the State of New
York. The Laboratory employs 550 people, including a research staff of
almost 200 Ph.D. scientists and 50 graduate students. Cold Spring Harbor
Laboratory's primary goal is to carry out first-rate scientific
research. However, the Laboratory pursues other goals which we believe
are vital to the well-being of science and scientists: scientific
communication; training scientists; public education; and publishing.
The Laboratory is located thirty-five miles east of New York City on the
scenic north shore of Long Island.

>Each year, over 5,000 scientists worldwide attend one or several of the
more than 15 scientific meetings held at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
in the award- winning Grace Auditorium. The flagship of this program is
the annual Symposium on Quantitative Biology, one of the most
prestigious meetings in molecular biology. Professional meetings are an
integral part of a scientist's job; they are a primary means by which
scientists stay current on the latest results and techniques in their
field.

>Complementing our meetings program is our annual program of 25
high-level courses. Directed primarily at post-doctoral level
scientists, these intensive courses allow practicing researchers to
immerse themselves in new techniques and ideas that they can apply
immediately to their own research. Many of these courses are laboratory
courses held in our Beckman Neuroscience Center, which was completed in
1991. For more than 50 years, courses at Cold Spring Harbor have trained
the rising stars in emerging disciplines and shaped the direction of
research, both at Cold Spring Harbor and elsewhere.

>2) Full Description of Course
>
>Application Deadline January 31, 1995
>
>ADVANCED GENOME SEQUENCE ANALYSIS                         March 14 -
27, 1995

>Ellson Y. Chen, Perkin Elmer Corporation
>Richard Gibbs, Baylor College of Medicine
>W. Richard McCombie, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
>Richard K. Wilson, Washington University
>
>Recent advances in the automation of DNA sequencing have opened new
possibilities for the analysis of complex genomes at the DNA sequence
level.  This two week course will provide intensive training in this
rapidly evolving field.  The course will emphasize techniques and
strategies for using automated sequencers to sequence large, contiguous
genomic regions.  Students will carry out all of the steps in the
sequencing process from preparing cosmid DNA to computer analysis of the
finished sequence.  Topics will include subclone library generation,
large-scale template purification, sequencing reactions, gel analysis on
automated sequencers, sequence assembly, gap filling and conflict
resolution.  Students will work in groups to sequence a large region of
DNA and through this process be trained in crucial project and data
management techniques. A series of lecturers will discuss their
applications of these techniques as well as alternate strategies for
high speed automated DNA!
> sequencing.
>
>3) Short list of 1995 meetings and courses
>
>1995 Meetings (in chronological order)
>
>Molecular and Behavioral Biology of Aplysia and Related Molluscs
>The Cytoskeleton & Cell Function
>Tyrosine Phosphorylation & Cell Signalling
>Genome Mapping & Sequencing
>RNA Processing
>Retroviruses
>Symposium: Protein Kinesis - The Dynamics of Protein Trafficking &
Stability
>Yeast Cell Biology
>Molecular Genetics of Bacteria & Phages
>Cancer Cells: Mechanisms of
>Eukaryotic Transcription
>Eukaryotic DNA Replication
>Molecular Approaches to the Control of Infectious Diseases
>Programmed Cell Death
>Plant Signalling in Development
>Neurobiology of Drosophila
>
>1995 Courses  (in alphabetical order)
>
>Advanced Bacterial Genetics
>Advanced Genome Sequence Analysis
>Advanced In Situ Hybridization & Immunocytochemistry
>Advanced Molecular Cloning & Expression of Eukaryotic Genes
>Arabidopsis Molecular Genetics
>Cloning and Analysis of Large DNA Molecules
>Computational Genomics
>Early Development of Xenopus Laevis
>Macromolecular Crystallography
>Molecular Embryology of the Mouse
>Molecular Markers for Plant Breeding & Plant Genetics
>Phage Display of Combinatorial Antibodies
>Protein Purification & Characterization
>YACs in Structural and Biological Genome Analysis
>Yeast Genetics
>
>Courses in Neurobiology
>
>Brain Mapping
>Developmental Neurobiology
>Imaging Structure and Function in the Nervous System
>Molecular Approaches to Ion Channel and Function
>Molecular Cloning of Neural Genes
>Neurobiology of Drosophila
>Neurobiology of Human Neurological Disease: Mechanisms of Human
Neurodegeneration
>Structure, Function & Development of the Visual System
>The Biology of Memory: From Molecules to Behavior
>
>4) Information for Course Applicants
>
>Registration:
>Mail the application form plus 3 additional copies of application and
accompanying material to the Course Registrar on or before the course
deadline. If applying for more than one course, a separate application
form plus 3 additional copies must be submitted for each course.  Please
select one course per session.

>Selection Process:
>Each year, the instructors are confronted with the difficult task of
selecting the students for our courses from a large number of
well-qualified applicants.  To facilitate the application process,
students are asked to provide information documenting their request for
a place in the course.  First and foremost, applicants should give their
reasons for wanting to take the course.   As part of this, you should
briefly outline your career.  It is highly recommended that you
supplement your application with one or more letters of recommendation.
 Applicants should remember that selection is based upon the degree to
which they would benefit from this training opportunity; this in turn
will be judged from the information given by the applicants.

>Applicants will be notified by mail whether or not they have been
accepted to attend.  The decisions often take several weeks after the
application deadline to be finalized and announced.

>Stipends:
>
>Scholarship support is available to all qualified applicants based on
need.  Any candidate requesting financial assistance MUST request it
when submitting the application.  Attach a separate letter stating the
amount requested and give a full justification for the required support.
 The amount awarded will be based upon the availability of funding.

>Housing:
>All students must live in the Laboratory dormitories and take meals in
the dining room.  Most of the rooms are multiple occupancy and/or shared
bath.  Please be sure to indicate gender on the application form.  Due
to space limitations, families cannot be housed on grounds; there are no
exceptions to this policy!

>Course Application Checklist:
>Mail original plus 3 copies of the following:
>** Original application for each course applied for.

>** Letter and/or curriculum vitae outlining your career including
reasons why taking the course would benefit you
>** Letter(s) of recommendation
>**(Stipend request)
>
>5) Prices  for 1995 Courses:
>Length of Course		   Cost *
>
>6 Days				$1,155.00
>1 Week				$1,215.00
>10 Days			$1,460.00
>2 Weeks			$1,720.00 <= COST OF THIS COURSE
>3 Weeks			$2,180.00
>
>* Cost includes tuition, food and housing
>
>6) Sponsors of the 1994 Courses Program (not specifically for this
course)

>The Howard Hughes Medical Institute   **  The Esther A. & Joseph
Klingenstein Fund, Inc. **  United States Department of Agriculture **
United States Department of Energy   ** National Cancer Institute **
National Center of Human Genome Research ** National Institute of
General Medical Sciences ** National Institute of Mental Health **
National Institutes of Health ** National Science Foundation

>7) Getting to Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
>
>** New York Airports: J.F. Kennedy, La Guardia and L.I. MacArthur
Airports are most convenient to the Laboratory (allow 1 1/2 - 2 hours
travel time each way). Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory does not coordinate
travel arrangements from local airports.
>** Limousines:  Prices for JFK and LaGuardia only!
>Syosset Limousine - 516-364-9681, reservation required. Private Car (1
- 9 people).  Cost = $65.00 for 1 person, $33.00 pp. for 2, $25.00 pp.
for 3 or more.
>Classic Limousine - 516-567-5100 (or 1-800-666-4949 outside New York).
Shared Ride Service (possible stops at other terminals/destinations).
Use courtesy phone at airport.  No reservation required.  Cost = $33.00
per person.
>Other transportation options are available at the airports. Do not use
taxicabs for transportation from  the airport to CSHL.
>**    Railroad: Long Island Railroad is located in Penn Station. Take
the PT JEFFERSON BRANCH train to SYOSSET.  Note: Possible transfer at
Jamaica Station.  Taxis usually meet arriving trains at Syosset station
ticket office. Syosset Taxi 921-2141; $6.50 for 1 person, $4.00 each
additional person.
>** Automobile: From the Long Island Expressway (Rte 495),
>Exit 41 North (Route 106-107). On 106-107, bear right at fork (Route
106 - Oyster Bay).  Travel 3.5 miles on Rte 106, make a right turn
(East) onto Route 25A (town of East Norwich).  Travel 4 miles. The lab
entrance is on the left.  (A gold Victorian house marks the entrance).
>** New York - Connecticut Ferry Services:
>Port Jefferson - Bridgeport (516-473-0286)
>Orient Point - New London (516-323-2743)
>
>8) General Information  about services at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
>
>** Registration: Please register at Grace Auditorium upon your arrival
at the laboratory. Meetings begin at 7:30 in the evening. Dinner is
served from 5:30 to 7:30 prior to meetings.  Please call ahead if you
plan to arrive at the lab after midnight.
>** Parking: All vehicles MUST receive a Temporary Parking Permit from
The Meetings Office.  Any vehicle on grounds without such a permit will
be subject to booting or towing.
>** Phones / Faxes: Participants can receive faxes at the Meetings
Office (516) 367-8845. Payphones and house phones are located throughout
the campus.
>Bookstore: The Bookstore is located in the lower level of Grace
Auditorium. Store hours are posted.
>** Computer Facilities: Lower level of Grace Auditorium, equipped with
PC, Mac & laser printer.  To access your e-mail, you must know the name
of your home server.

>"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>Correspondence should be addressed to:
>
>Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
>The Meetings Office
>1 Bungtown Road, P.O. Box 100
>Cold Spring Harbor
>New York 11724-2213
>
>Phone: (meetings) 516 367 8346
>	(courses)   516 367 8345
>Fax:		      516 367 8845
>E-mail: meetings at cshl.org
>World wide web site at http://www.cshl.org/

I am looking for current research being done on breast cancer under
human genome project.  please reply to mmyers at ix.netcom.com