Why are there 23 pairs of chromosomes?

Nick Giannoukakis b2d6 at musicb.mcgill.ca
Fri Jul 7 21:13:30 EST 1995

Although this is a very hard question to answer, as no solid (or any!) correlations exist between genome size
and organism complexity, my speculation, at this moment, is that certain organisms may live in an
environment that is favorable for high mutation rates. As such, a large genome, containing many non-coding
regions, would serve as a buffer against deleterious mutations. Call it a sort of "sink" for mutations.

I really can't think of anything else. This question reminds me of the phenomenon where small organisms in
size, make a lot of Growth Hormone (those that produce it, anyway). Again, no explanations........

                                                                                                         Nick.