Seed formation in an intergeneric rice hybrid

Robert Nagy Kreblon at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Thu Jul 20 15:42:16 EST 1995

Dear colleagues:

In the last Annual Conference of the Bangladesh Association for Plant Tissue Culture  (BAPTC) held in Dhaka in
April last, a paper  was presented reporting for the first time a hybrid at the tetraploid level in the combination,
colchicine-induced tetraploid rice, c-4x Oryza sativa (2n=4x=48) x a natural tetraploid, Porteresia coarctata
(2n+48), which grows wild in the coastal areas of the Indian subcontinent. The author said that in spite of a
large number of backcrosses to either of the parents and self-pollination, not a single seed was formed. Surprisingly,
Pollen stainability was better and there was less variation in the size of pollen compared to those of the
c-4x O. sativa.

	Could anyone please suggest of any modern technique which will promote the setting of seeds because
if the researcher obtains one viable seed, it will open an unlimited possibility of creating rice varieties suitable for
growing in the saline coastal soil where no food crops grows at present.

	I shall very much appreciate receiving a reply which I would like to communicate to the researcher who
does not have facility to an internet connection. Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Ahmad Islam