AUTOMATED SEQUENCING ?

Keith Robison robison at mito.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 20 10:07:28 EST 1995

Lawrence Washington (lwashing at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu) wrote:
: AE, AKA HCM,

: > Have you seen any of the stuff performed in the USSR (as it was) and
: > Czeclosovakia (as it was) regarding sequencing using an array of oligos
: > bound to silicone plates ?
: >
: > I don't know what's going on with it now, but it looked exciting stuff !
: >
: > Does anyone else know owt about it ?
: >
: > Adrian (yawn) Edwards

: Hmmmm...this rings a faint bell from years back.  Something about
: statistically analyzing the order in which the unknown fragments bound to
: the oligo array???  Someone out there must remember.  What DID become of
: this?

: Does anyone know of a review of alternative sequencing theories, or
: legitimate speculation on the future?  Interesting subject.

This stuff is still an unproven idea.  A significant concern is how
complex (i.e. how big) a sequence can be analyzed in this manner.
I believe most of the schemes for this can de novo sequence a
fragment of 2 (4?) to the N, where N is the length of the oligo on the array.
So, you'd still need to carve the entire genome into kilobase-sized
chunks, which is one of the major costs for conventional sequencing.

One place where these arrays might be more promising is resequencing
-- i.e. diagnostics.  One array could test many regions of the genome.
Affymax/Affymetrix (I forget which does what) has built a chip capable
of scanning the human mitochondrial genome in such a fashion.

To find literature, try searching some of the following names

	Fodor
	Pevzner
	Drmanac

Don't write off gel-based methods yet -- they may well give us the
first sequence of the human genome.  No other method has yet
generated significant de novo sequence data.

Keith Robison
Harvard University
Department of Genetics / HHMI

robison at mito.harvard.edu