Meaning of "AFM" in STS names

Alberto Catalano alcat at
Fri Nov 10 09:36:06 EST 1995

In article <DHBI7z.M16 at>, tome at says...
>In article <DH9BzK.H7 at>, dbarton at (Dr David E
>Barton) writes:
>>In article <4700dv$9db at>,
>>Alberto Catalano <alcat at> wrote:
>>>Dear bionetters,
>>>Does nayone know the meaning and/or origin of the AFM nomenclature for
>>I've no idea of the meaning of all the heiroglyphics that follow AFM,
>>this prefix denotes markers developed by Genethon.
>>  | David Barton
>>  | National Centre for Medical Genetics
>>  | Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children
>>  | Crumlin, Dublin 12, Ireland.
>>  | Tel +353 1 455 0515 Fax 455 8873
>Well, as I said before AFM=Association Francaise contre les Myopathies,
>the French muscular distrophy association that  provides the funding
>the research at Genethon
>and the hieroglyphics that follow AFM - come on, nobody recognized
>plate number and position on the plate ( well OK, it may not be true
>for all of them but you can see the pattern. If it is not the plate, it
>the tube :-)

Am I right in assuming that STS's developed in other centres are not
referred to by AFM numbers?

If not then what is the standard for naming STS sequences or primer pairs?
I originally thought that D#S### type nomenclature (e.g. D12S1057) was the
standard, but the databases are saturated with AFM type names that don't
seem to have a corresponding D number.

If there isn't a standard, or a (group of) committee(s) that controls the
nomenclature, how can we be sure that someone doesn't duplicate a name for
an STS.