Meaning of "AFM" in STS names

Patricia Rodriguez-Tome tome at
Tue Oct 31 09:43:10 EST 1995

In article <DH9BzK.H7 at>, dbarton at (Dr David E
Barton) writes:
>In article <4700dv$9db at>,
>Alberto Catalano <alcat at> wrote:
>>Dear bionetters,
>>Does nayone know the meaning and/or origin of the AFM nomenclature for
>I've no idea of the meaning of all the heiroglyphics that follow AFM,
>this prefix denotes markers developed by Genethon.
>  | David Barton
>  | National Centre for Medical Genetics
>  | Our Lady's Hospital for Sick Children
>  | Crumlin, Dublin 12, Ireland.
>  | Tel +353 1 455 0515 Fax 455 8873
Well, as I said before AFM=Association Francaise contre les Myopathies,
the French muscular distrophy association that  provides the funding
the research at Genethon

and the hieroglyphics that follow AFM - come on, nobody recognized
plate number and position on the plate ( well OK, it may not be true
for all of them but you can see the pattern. If it is not the plate, it is
the tube :-)

Pat RT
Dr. Patricia Rodriguez-Tome		| URL:
The EMBL Outstation, Hinxton - The European Bioinformatics Institute
Hinxton Hall, Hinxton			| Tel:	+44 (0)1223 494 409
Cambridge CB10 1RQ, UK			| Fax:	+44 (0)1223 494 468