Question on X chromosome

Phil Davey pd at
Tue Dec 3 13:20:43 EST 1996

In article <581l57$pj9 at>,
	cs132 at (Chris) writes:
>This is a question that no one at York university seems able to
>The question is as follows:-
>In females one X chromosome stays active and codes for proteins where
>as the other chromosome is (supposedly) inactive and forms the dense
>bar body which can be visibly seen under an optical microscope.
>Are the inactive X,s truelly inactive?

AFAIK, only some sections of the X chromosome are inactivated. This means
that some genes on the X escape inactivation. I think it's also possible
for mutations to occur that affect the inactivation of particular genes.

>Or something entirely different.

Quite possibly! :-)

Phil Davey                        [E-mail pd at]
Just because you're smart, doesn't mean you can't act stupid....