genetics and homosexuality

David R. Marlborough david75 at sprynet.com
Wed Dec 18 13:53:48 EST 1996

Carrie Levow wrote:

> A little bio- it is likely that homosexuality is about 50% nature and
> 50% nurture.  So I am not saying that a gene that absolutley 100%
> causes homosexuality is going to be found.  But this issue can be
> addressed too.

	I remember hearing about the actual anatomical differences that
exist in homosexuals compared to heterosexuals (in both sexes).
Apparently, in both females and males of heterosexuals their exists
differences in the size of the pituitary and hypothalmus "complex" if
you will (because they are closely associated anatomically in the brain
region.  Well it was found that men had a larger complex (larger
hypothalmus and pituitary) than women, leading into another theory
involving rate of male hormone production and size of the gland.  What
is astonishing to me is what was found when similar observations were
made in homosexual persons of both sexes.
	It seems that the normal size difference in heterosexuals was
reversed.  In the case of the gay male, it was found that the size of
the complex was smaller than that for a heterosexual male and, in some
extreme cases, was very close to the size of the female complex.  This
was also seen for a homosexual female where larger complexes were found
when compared to heterosexual females.  Also, in some extreme cases, it
was found that the size of the complex in lesbian women was nearly
equivalent to that in heterosexual males.
	Now taking all of these facts in, one could lead to very
remarkable conclusions.  First, in development all organs and tissues of
our bodies develope due to controlled gene expression and cell to cell
inhibition.  Therefore, in a particular situation where development of a
particular gland should be inhibited due to gender, and indeed it is
allowed to develope fully (uninhibited), then it can be assumed that the
cause of this is due in part to a malfunction in the particular gene.
However, it can also be assumed that in addition to the set of genes
that are present to control the "complex" development in both sexes
there exists a gene inherited that can act to either render the
recipient "blind" (damaging the receptor) to proper signalling
concerning development of can simply terminate the signal (prevent the
ligand product from being produced) all together!
	So in order to respond to your statement of "50% nature/50%
nurture," in light of these findings, I find that that argument doesn't
seem to tread water very well.

				"Dave"
				Biology Major
				American History Minor