Mouse Chromosome Paints??? DO they exits?

coco coco at
Tue Feb 6 12:03:24 EST 1996

In article <4euns3$7bl at>, popa0206 at PO-Box.McGill.CA says...
>Doses anyone out there have chromosome specific coatasomes (chromosome
paints) for the mouse
>Or know of a reference for them....
>I have been trying to find some in the literature and I am having a hard
>Thanks in advance
>Graham Dellaire
>dellaire at

Yes the do exist. Here is the reference:

Nat Genet 9: 369-375 (1995)[95315987]

Chromosome specific paints from a high resolution flow karyotype of the

P. Rabbitts, H. Impey, A. Heppell-Parton, C. Langford, C. Tease, N. Lowe, D.
Bailey, M. Ferguson-Smith & N. Carter

MRC Radiotherapeutics Unit, MRC Centre, Cambridge, UK.

Chromosomes from antigen stimulated B-cells from spleens of inbred mice have
been separated using flow cytometry into 18
distinguishable peaks. Using locus-specific oligonucleotides and fluorescence
in situ hybridization to banded metaphase
spreads, 15 individual chromosomes were identified: 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11,
12, 16, 17, 18, 19, X and Y. The remaining six
chromosomes, occurring as pairs in three peaks, 4 with 5, 10 with 13, and 14
with 15, were resolved by flow sorting
chromosomes from mice carrying an appropriate homozygous translocation and 4,
5 and 14 have been isolated in this way.
This is the first demonstration of how a complete set of mouse chromosome
paints can be produced.