Chromosome Counts

Jo Fay jmf at
Mon Jan 8 08:34:56 EST 1996

James Holman <J.Holman at> wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>I currently trying to carry out chromosome counts on Senna (small shrub)
>but have encountered problems.  I am doing root tip squashes.  One
>problem is that the roots are very fibrous and thin thus causing it to be
>difficult to macerate.

I had to do root tip squashes for c-banding as a project student, and found
that softening the cell wall by partly digesting the cellulose made a big
difference. I'm afraid I don't have the reference any more, but it was from a
paper studying the c-banding of chromosomes of allium species.  Another method
was to completely digest the cell wall but that involves centrifugation and so
uses more equipment.

|   Hug a furry animal       | jmf at    |
|         today              |                     |