* transloc chrom help please

Pam Snyder snyder.9 at osu.edu
Fri Jun 7 23:13:46 EST 1996

In article <4pbtu5$sfc at newsbf02.news.aol.com>, kabass at aol.com (KABass) wrote:

> I am writing on behalf of a frightened, pregnant friend of mine who's
> fetus has a balanced translocated chromosome (breaks at 7 Q34 and 13 Q12).
>  Her genetic counselor has not been much help.  Neither parent shows the
> trait.
>
> She's found recorded evidence of abnormality with translocations at 7 Q32
> and & 7 Q36.  She's been told that even if a translocation identical to
> hers had been found in a past study, the researcher would only have
> published results if an abnormality had resulted.
>
> How do we find someone with the same translocation to determine what the
> effect may be on the child?  She's in NYC so has access to some good
> doctors, but she's hoping someone from the 'net community may be able to
> offer some innovative ideas for how to approach this dilemma.
>
> Much thanks--
> Tim Walter
> timothy at aspeninst.org or kabass at aol.com
> 202-736-5834 (day)

I work in a molecular pathology lab, so am not of much help here. I will
pass the question by our "sister" cytogenetics lab to see if they have any
info.  But I suppose that's where your friend got her info to begin with.

A question though, why where chromosomes done on the fetus to begin with?
An abnormal ultrasound? Maternal age? Questionable lab values?  I might
make a difference in a person's evaluation of the question