* transloc chrom help please

Mr. P.F. Linehan plinehan at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Tue Jun 11 07:41:02 EST 1996

In article <4pi13t$791 at dfw-ixnews7.ix.netcom.com> hk-miami at ix.netcom.com(HK) writes:
.>In <4pbtu5$sfc at newsbf02.news.aol.com> kabass at aol.com (KABass) writes:
.>>I am writing on behalf of a frightened, pregnant friend of mine who's
.>>fetus has a balanced translocated chromosome (breaks at 7 Q34 and 13
.>> Her genetic counselor has not been much help.  Neither parent shows
.>>She's found recorded evidence of abnormality with translocations at 7
.>>and & 7 Q36.  She's been told that even if a translocation identical
.>>hers had been found in a past study, the researcher would only have
.>>published results if an abnormality had resulted.
.>>How do we find someone with the same translocation to determine what
.>>effect may be on the child?  She's in NYC so has access to some good
.>>doctors, but she's hoping someone from the 'net community may be able
.>>offer some innovative ideas for how to approach this dilemma.
.>>Much thanks--
.>>Tim Walter
.>>timothy at aspeninst.org or kabass at aol.com
.>>202-736-5834 (day)
.>If it's balanced, as they say it is, it shouldn't have any effect at
.>all.  The potential for problems would be in any child the affected
.>individual may have (which can also be detected ahead of time by

I'm not certain that this is absolutely true. One would have to
be sure that the translocation had not occurred at or near an
important gene. Given current knowledge, I don't think this
is an easy one to call.