* transloc chrom help please

Mr. P.F. Linehan plinehan at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Tue Jun 11 07:41:02 EST 1996

In article <4pi13t$791 at dfw-ixnews7.ix.netcom.com> hk-miami at ix.netcom.com(HK) writes:
.>In <4pbtu5$sfc at newsbf02.news.aol.com> kabass at aol.com (KABass) writes:
.>>
.>>I am writing on behalf of a frightened, pregnant friend of mine who's
.>>fetus has a balanced translocated chromosome (breaks at 7 Q34 and 13
.>Q12).
.>> Her genetic counselor has not been much help.  Neither parent shows
.>the
.>>trait.
.>>
.>>She's found recorded evidence of abnormality with translocations at 7
.>Q32
.>>and & 7 Q36.  She's been told that even if a translocation identical
.>>hers had been found in a past study, the researcher would only have
.>>published results if an abnormality had resulted.
.>>
.>>How do we find someone with the same translocation to determine what
.>the
.>>effect may be on the child?  She's in NYC so has access to some good
.>>doctors, but she's hoping someone from the 'net community may be able
.>>offer some innovative ideas for how to approach this dilemma.
.>>
.>>Much thanks--
.>>Tim Walter
.>>timothy at aspeninst.org or kabass at aol.com
.>>202-736-5834 (day)
.>=====================================================
.>If it's balanced, as they say it is, it shouldn't have any effect at
.>all.  The potential for problems would be in any child the affected
.>individual may have (which can also be detected ahead of time by
.>amnio).

I'm not certain that this is absolutely true. One would have to
be sure that the translocation had not occurred at or near an
important gene. Given current knowledge, I don't think this
is an easy one to call.

Paul...

.>HK