balanced translocations and viable embryos

Catherine B Olkin colkin at
Sun Jun 16 17:07:37 EST 1996

I also have a question about balanced translocations.
In Feb 1996, I was about 20 weeks pregnant when I
found out my baby would not live because she had
too much genetic material.  Please excuse my simplistic
terms -- I am an astronomer not a geneticist.  Tests
of myself and my husband revealed that I have a
balanced translocation of chromosomes 7 and 22.
My daughter had too much chromosome #7.  My husband
has no chromosome problems, neither do my parents,
therefore the mutation occured in me.