A question from a layman

Meilleur Sebastien meilleus at MAGELLAN.UMontreal.CA
Sat Sep 21 00:39:13 EST 1996

Mark Phelps (MPhelps985 at gnn.com) wrote:
: Scenario:  A family on the way to a funeral.  The young child in
: the back seat of the car is able to describe the cemetary; but
: she's never been there before, never even been past there before.
:
: Question:  Is it possible for parental genes to contain not only
: the seed for the child's memory system, but actual memories
: themselves?
:
: Dilemma:  I have no way of testing this theory.  I have no science
: background.  (It does seem that this theory is far more provable
: than simply calling the above scenario "paranormal" or "psychic
: ability".  Even if it is disproven, at least it CAN BE disproven,
: unlike "psychic" claims.)
:
: Would someone please take a few minutes and offer some suggestions?
:  As you do, remember my lack of scientific experience (in ANY
: field).
:
: Thanks
:
: Mark Phelps
:
	Here's my idea about it.
I'd say it's not possible. Genes are modified by evolution, not by
memories. I think memories do not get "crystallized" in genes. At least I
never saw anything anywhere about that. It is a possibility but nothing
scientific ever got close to it as far as I know. I am no doctor in
biology but I wanted to state my opinion on the subject.

I hope some other people let us know of their opinions. It is an
interesting question to think about.

Sebastien Meilleur, Biochemistry student, Quebec, canada