A question from a layman

Pam Snyder snyder.9 at osu.edu
Tue Sep 24 20:45:05 EST 1996

In article <51u3hk$6qh at news-e2b.gnn.com>, MPhelps985 at gnn.com (Mark Phelps)
wrote:

> Scenario:  A family on the way to a funeral.  The young child in
> the back seat of the car is able to describe the cemetary; but
> she's never been there before, never even been past there before.
>
> Question:  Is it possible for parental genes to contain not only
> the seed for the child's memory system, but actual memories
> themselves?
>
> Dilemma:  I have no way of testing this theory.  I have no science
> background.  (It does seem that this theory is far more provable
> than simply calling the above scenario "paranormal" or "psychic
> ability".  Even if it is disproven, at least it CAN BE disproven,
> unlike "psychic" claims.)
>
> Would someone please take a few minutes and offer some suggestions?
>  As you do, remember my lack of scientific experience (in ANY
> field).
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark Phelps

The worst thing about the possibility of parents passing memories to
children are that memories are not reality but _perceived_ reality, talk
about screwing up a child, if memories could be transmitted from parent to
offspring prenatally they would have knowledge of situations and
circumstances (or the parents perception of them) that parents would never
dream of vocalizing!!