interspersed sequences

Laurent Duret duret at
Mon Feb 17 03:37:13 EST 1997

In article <5e7p30$3eu at>, bernot at (Alain Bernot) writes:
>can anybody tell me if the interspersed sequences in the murine genome are
>related to a known gene (in the same way as the human Alu is related to the 7SL
>RNA in primates). I am also looking for articles about repeated sequences in
>non-human species.

Yes, if I remember, B1 repeats in rodents also derive from the
7SL RNA gene. Indeed most of SINES in vertebrates derive from
small RNA genes (tRNA, 7SL, ...). For a review, look at

Deininger at al. 1989 In: Berg & Howe (ed) Mobile DNA, American Society for
Microbiology, Washington DC, pp.619-636.

Hope this helps,

Laurent Duret
Laboratoire BGBP - UMR CNRS 5558     Phone  : +33 472 44 80 00  p.34 39
Universite Claude Bernard - Lyon 1   FAX    : +33 478 89 27 19
43 Bd du 11 Novembre 1918            e-mail : duret at
F-69622 Villeurbanne Cedex           ========================