dog chromosomes

julietteFaraco faraco at cmgm.stanford.edu
Wed Dec 16 07:52:54 EST 1998

Cytogenetics of dogs is a bit tricky since the karyotype is really
unforgiving. 38 autosomes plus X and Y, and all but the X are
acrocentric. The sizes are a gradient going from rather small to very
small.

Here are two URLs for dog genome sites, which may or may not have photos
of dog FISH expts currently.
http://www.fhcrc.org/science/dog_genome/dog.html
http://mendel.berkeley.edu/dog.html

Two references with good karyotype photos are:
1996: chromosome research vol4:306-309
1996 cytogenetics and cell genetics:73: 140-144

I've done a ton of FISH on canine metaphases, but haven't published any
of it. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help.
Juliette
Faraco