help!! (sequence editing)

jie zhang jiezhang at students.uiuc.edu
Sun Dec 20 11:49:57 EST 1998

Hi, I am working on a candidate gene for an autoimmune disease. Since I am
new in this field, one question always bothers me during sequence editing.
To compare the polymorphism of the gene among different strains of mice,
we usually sequence 3 or more colonies of one segment at about 700bp (DNA
or mRNA) in one strain. If 5 or more sequences agree to one nucleotide
(for example 'A') at one position in one strain of mouse,  only one
sequence shows different nucleotide ('T', for example, but there is a
signal of 'A' right below the 'T') at this position.  My question is if I
have to change the one sequence to agree other 5 sequences including it's
complement sequence, or just leave it intact to keep the original data?

Appreciate any suggestion!!

Jay (Jie) Zhang
Vet. Pathobiology
University of Illinois