beard growth

Rcjohnsen rcjohnsen at
Mon Apr 17 16:54:16 EST 2000

<< Subject: beard growth
From: Mohan Narayanan monst3+ at
Date: Sun, Apr 16, 2000 8:16 PM
<Pine.GSO.3.96L.1000416161128.11416A-100000 at>

I am having trouble growing a beard.  it only grows over the top lips and
at the jaw.  is it genetic?  replies would be greatly appriciated.

Yes it is genetic.  body hair patterns and growth rates are probably determined
by a large number of genes.  Do any close male relatives have bushy beards?? or
abundant hair growth in places you do not?  Mother or Father's side?
   I thought a beard would be a good thing a long time ago--eg it would  be
easier not to shave every day.  But the beard grew in red and the top of my
head was chestnut colored.  It just didn't work out!