Stop Protesting Genetically Engineered Food! You look stupid.

Jose Ignacio de las Heras jose.delasheras at hgu.mrc.ac.uk
Tue Apr 25 14:48:02 EST 2000

The Lone Protester wrote:

> Historically, winter wheat is genetically altered.  A Russian woman was
> rubbing two pieces of cheese cloth together, and actually produced the first
> strain.  It is hypocritical of a geration practically raised on the stuff to
> claim it a hazord.  Nature, and evolution have produced the most toxic, and
> hazordous plants, or they would never be catagorized as poisonous plants,
> funguses, etc.  The real difference here is that science must obey the law,
> and they literally will be held accountable if a problem should ever arrise.
> No-one has insisted of God, not to make poisonous plants, create them, or
> remove them from history, and gained any ground in convincing the creator
> not to.  Tear, and serin gas are both derived from plants.  The research
> into genetically engineered food stuffs directly indicates a different
> series of rules, regulations, and laws, and is by no means chemical or
> biological weapons research.  If all you can percieve as true is evolution,
> then you never stoped the most poisonous of creature, and have coexisted
> knowing, or able to learn the difference.  Although, scorpions, spiders,
> snakes, poisonous fish, jelly fish, and huge families of bacteria, and viral
> infections, and diseases exist, and persist, there was never a scientific
> community, or legal issue of what would, or would not exist, only which
> would survive.  If a genetic engineer produced any one of those critters on
> the list, and any one of them didn't exist outside of bacterial, and viral,
> they would never have multiplied to an extent that any one of them wouldn't
> just co-exist with the rest of the life on this planet.  You should feel
> safe that what they are doing is big enough to see, big enough to recognize.
> The natural radiation from the sun, cosmic rays will still continue to alter
> genetic materail.  Believe it or not, the course of natural selection is a
> victim of natural splicing.  You wouldn't think that the gene of a blade of
> grass could be altered as you walked over it but, that will always be the
> case.  The statistical odds are that a gene would be spliced, and as a
> result be graphed by the healing process.  Even the growers that grow only
> by natrual means, wind up with freak plants.  A freak ear of corn, a freak
> carrot, or possibly a freak eggplant.  In my past experiances, my parents
> usually grew a family garden, and you can tell when they've went off of the
> genetic track.  It's just that no-one clones these oddities, or goes to the
> trouble of being sure that they go to seed, and those seeds get germinated.
> You can use gene finger printing, and find these anomolies any time they
> catch your eye.  There are greenhouses, and entire farms where a kid just
> does find something out of place.  It never had to be the genetically
> altered field that produced it because, even the naturally grown field is
> subject to the environment.  Cosmic rays bombard the Earth all day, the sun
> [...]

That is not what bio-engineered foodstuffs are all about, as you say.
That's what they COULD be all about, but the truth is that they are not.
Money gets in the way, in a bad way.

I'm all in for GM, but in a reasonable manner. Sadly, when GM is left
to  private companies looking for the big bucks, it ceases to be
reasonable, and it's all rushing to make money, regardless.

Preachers on both sides of the argument just make a sad viewing. I
cannot say whom I dislike the most, really. Coming back to your subject:
they all look stupid, not just those on one side. If your argument is
the only one supporting GM, the protesters you refer to would have a
field day. All those silly arguments to me are a mere distraction from
the real problems. I mean, no one can possibly be arguing about the
evils of genetic alteration... that's not the point here.

Less preaching, more solid constructive information.

Jose

Dr. Jose I. de las Heras        Email:  Jose.delasHeras at hgu.mrc.ac.uk
MRC Human Genetics Unit         Tel:    (0131) 3322471
Chromosome Biology Section              ext:    2316 (office)
Western General Hospital                        2311 (lab)
Edinburgh EH4 2XU               Fax:    (0131) 3432620
Scotland - United Kingdom

"Musha ring dum a doo dum a da, Whack for my daddy-o"