Music of the Human Genome

Brent Hugh bhugh at
Sat Feb 17 00:14:41 EST 2001

To celebrate the recent announcements about sequencing the human genome, I
decided to try making some music from the genetic code.

I downloaded genome sequences from the internet and, using software I
wrote, translated the human genetic code directly into musical notes and
melodies. Then I processed the melodies in various ways using the usual
type of music software. The end result is a trance-like and surprisingly
melodic kind of music.

You can hear "Music of the Human Genome" at

The music is free for the listening in near-CD quality MP3 format
(lower-quality, smaller versions are also available, so that modem users
can listen instantly).