Human genome 6

Gandalf Parker postmaster at
Tue Jul 10 11:14:13 EST 2001

Anders Gorm Pedersen wrote:

> Gandalf Parker wrote:
> > I have a son who was diagnosed C6p+  20 years ago by military doctors.
> > They did a few papers on him and had us prepare for an early death. They
> > did some searchs of world medical librarys and found no matchs (none
> > that werent ummmm trans-locates? something like that)

> - Gandalf (very nice name by the way!)

Well it used to be unique until I got on the internet. Now I cant use it
anywhere because some kid has snagged it as a handle. But as far as I know Im
oneof the few people who really have it as a name. Love the looks when they say
"is that german?" and I reply "no, its elvan".

> genetic material, compared to a normal chromosome 6. In some cases this can
> be caused by a so-called translocation. Put simply, that's when a piece of

> one chromosome has "broken off" and gotten attached to another chromosome.
> (But apparently that was not the case for your son.)

Good read. Yes its extra protein with no trans-locate. We dont really consider
it a disorder. It has its Pros and Cons. Dont want to set anyone off here since
this isnt my group but they referred to it as "spontaneus natural mutation"
which I was actualy able to accept easier than disorder.

> There has been tremendous progress in the ability of doctors to analyze
> chromosomes over the past 20 years, and chances are that a lot more
> information is available now. However, there are two caveats: (1) there are
> so many possible chromosomal disorders that any particular one may be
> unique, having no exact matches in any other person. (2) The ability
> to characterize chromosome aberrations does far from always translate into
> knowledge about how to best help a person with that particular disorder.

He is 22 years old now. Wasnt supposed to live past 6 based on the only info
availalble at the time but all of those were trans-locates. Its just that since
I retired from the military there isnt really any doctors forwarding info or
watching for any. Im wondering if I should get in contact with anyone to insure
that info he can provide the databases is being included. Is there a central
clearing house in the USA for the human phenome project?

Oh, thank you for the link. That looks quite interesting.

Gandalf  Parker