Algae and biocorrosion

Robert J. Palmer Jr. rjpalmer at utkux.utcc.utk.edu
Wed Dec 10 08:34:04 EST 1997

How did you look for SRB?  If it was a "culturability" method, chances are
good that you missed them, particularly if the biofilms weren't sampled
directly or if the samples weren't handled properly prior to the
determination.
What sort of corrosion is occurring?  What is the metallurgical description
of the corrosion?
There was some consortial work done in DC White's lab about 5 years ago
that involved photosynthetic bugs: Dowling et al., Biofouling 5:315-322,
1992.  That study was on stainless steel; mild steel (is this what you mean
by "carbon steel"?) is pretty easily corroded anyway.