Somewhere else to get slimey...

Kenneth M Wiencek Kenneth_M_Wiencek at ROHMHAAS.COM
Thu Feb 13 17:25:02 EST 1997

     Hi Slimers,

        There is another biofilm discussion forum that has just started.
     Yes, its feast (ie plaque?, also known as a type #3 biofilm?) or
     famine (ie drinking water biofilm?, type #1?)...first, we had no
     forum, now we have two forums (fora?).

     This forum is located at:
     http://www.bdt.org.br/bioline/forum/bf/
     and is part of the bioline "on-line" journal series (including an
     on-line Biofilm Journal).

     I'm not sure what we can do with two discusssion groups that can't be
     accomplished by one, but the bioline site does permit the posting of
     images and movies (about biofilms!). Right now, its pretty quiet over
     there...

     Here's the word from their sysop:

     for each of the online-only journals,Biofilm, Biopolicy and Biosafety.
     The aim of these new options is to provide a mechanism for debate
     about issues raised in the journals, or other matters related to the
     subject of the journals. The Forum is very easy to use, and basically
     self-explanatory. However, there is a HELP file online if needed.

     You will note that it is possible to submit text, images or video
     clips for discussion. The formats that must be used are described in
     the Help file.
     The Forum is not monitored and is free to all to use. We shall watch
     developments with interest and it may be that in future we shall make
     it possible for individuals to take responsibility for a particular
     Forum. We much hope that the scientific community will use the system
     for serious discussions of importance to their research. Matters
     relating to Bioline generally may be submitted to bioline-l rather
     than to the Forum.  We have developed this mechanism after listening
     to the success of the pre-prints system adopted by the high energy
     physics community. Although these Fora are not designed specifically
     with the development of publications as the objective, we anticipate
     that worthwhile discussions may well lead to collaborative papers by
     those discussing a particular issue.

     We invite you to use THIS topic to talk about the Forum mechanism
     itself, and open NEW topics for professional debates about other
     issues that you would like to raise.