Its Slime Time...

Robert Preston rapr at
Sun Jan 19 14:40:52 EST 1997

In article <2df8d690 at>, Kenneth_M_Wiencek at ROHMHAAS.COM
(Kenneth M Wiencek) wrote:

>      Here's a question to ponder...
>      What is a biofilm anyway?  Is one attached cell a biofilm? 100?
>      1000000?  A monolayer?  Is a 3-D structure a requirement for a
>      "biofilm"?  .....[edit]....if the characteristics of cells change
>      immediately upon attachment (a physiological response to being
>      attached such as increased resistance to antimicrobials), then perhaps
>      a biofilm could be one attached cell ("a biofilm onto itself")

It seems to me that combining one attached cell with the exponential growth
equation necessarily implies the presence of a large multicell film after not
very many generations (or one dead attached cell if the growth rate constant
is negative).  Single cells are irrelevant except as progenitors for

rapr at