PCR in biofilms and physiology

Nikolai Bugaenko bugar at post.krascience.rssi.ru
Tue Jan 28 22:15:52 EST 1997

Robert Preston wrote:

> Michael G.Sadovsky wrote:
> > Could somebody tell in what way are the going to derive some knowledge
> > obtained from PCR (see below) techniques to the physiological
> > peculiarities of the rather specialized (I mean, adaptated) cells in a
> > biofilm....[edits]
>
> If I understand the question, Michael has supplied part of its answer -
> if a biofilm cell is specialized relative to the same organism growing in
> free suspension, then, in theory, reverse transcriptase PCR (RT-PCR) can
> identify mRNA sequences from genes that are expressed only when cells are
> in the biofilm form.  Methods using RT-PCR, called "differential display"
> methods, have been developed specifically for studying differential gene
> expression.  The physiological functions of biofilm-specific gene products
> (and of mutated products) would need to be worked out physiologically, of
> course, but predictions from cross-species sequence comparisons can help with
> that task in many cases.

That is OK with the technique to understand the gene's sequence, either
in attached cell, or in a suspended one. My remark was - are you sure
you can derive the physiological properties from the knowledge of enzyme
structure? I mean, there quite a number of mechanisms, the most
well-known is epigenetical one, that impactstrongly the physiology of
attached vs. suspended cells. At least my experience forces me to doubt
in that matter.

Regards, Michael G.Sadovsky
Institute of Biophysics of SD of RAS;
660036 Russia, Siberia, Krasnoyarsk
tel. +7-(3912)-494101; fax: +7-(3912)-433400;
e-mail: bugar at post.krascience.rssi.ru