PCR in biofilms and physiology

Robert Preston rapr at med.pitt.edu
Wed Jan 29 17:30:58 EST 1997

In article <5cmfd8$a7f at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, bugar at post.krascience.rssi.ru wrote:

>......... are you sure
> you can derive the physiological properties from the knowledge of enzyme
> structure?...............

Certainly not in detail, at least not in this century.  But if I told you that
gene product "x" was expressed in biofilm but not planktonic cells, and "x" has
85% sequence identity to the high affinity "slime hydrolase" ;-)  in Hemophilus
influenzae (for example), then you would know that slime hydrolase physiology
and biochemistry would be relevant to biofilm biology and you could go look at
that physiology to find out why it was important in a biofilm.

>..................I mean, there quite a number of mechanisms, the most
> well-known is epigenetical one, that impactstrongly the physiology of
> attached vs. suspended cells. At least my experience forces me to doubt
> in that matter.

That may be, but the lesson of the explosion of molecular genetics in the past
couple of decades suggests that physiology unguided by molecular genetics
is an unfruitful approach, as a rule.

Rob Preston
rapr at med.pitt.edu

--