Biofilm symposium at ISME8

BOB MCLEAN RM12 at swt.edu
Tue May 13 08:28:58 EST 1997

Greetings Biofilm Enthusiasts;

The triennial International Symposium on Microbial Ecology will be held in
Halifax, NS Canada in August 1998.  This is a continuation of an excellent
series of conferences which were first organized in part by Margaret Loutit in
New Zealand.  Former meetings have been held in Coventry UK, East Lansing USA,
Yugoslavia, Japan, and Brazil.  The August 1998 meeting represents the first
occasion of this conference being hosted in Canada.  The past ISME conferences
have been superb, both in geographic location and the quantity and calibre of
science.  Halifax is a picturesque city on Canada's east coast.  Its location
should stimulate some excellent scientific presentations and discussions.

I would encourage all of you to consider attending Halifax in 1998 and
presenting your work on biofilms.  As I understand things, there will be both
oral and poster presentation formats available.  The chair of the Local
Organizing Committee is Colin Bell, Dept. Biology, Acadia University,
Wolfville, NS Canada B0P 1X0 Email: bell at ace.acadiau.ca

As part of this conference, Bill Costerton and I (Bob McLean) have been asked
to chair a half day symposium on biofilms.  While the past developments in
biofilm research have been exciting, the future holds even more promise.  We
would like to plan this symposium around the concept of current and future
trends in biofilm research as they apply to microbial ecology.  The homoserine
lactone story is certainly exciting and will be profiled.  I would like to ask
for your suggestions for other subjects and speakers.

Could you please post suggestions for speakers and topics to the biofilm
discussion group, and email me a copy.  With time limitations, etc we cannot
make any promises, but will certainly consider any suggestions.

Thank you very much,

R.J.C. (Bob) McLean
Dept. Biology
Southwest Texas State University