New directions in biofilm research

Jan Kreft Kreft at
Thu Aug 27 14:34:43 EST 1998

Dear Bob,

On 26 Aug 1998, Bob McLean wrote:

> The Eighth International Symposium of Microbial Ecology (ISME8) held in
> Halifax provided an excellent forum for highlighting the exciting new
> developments in biofilm research. I wish to thank all who attended and
> presented their work. In addition, many notable people (including some major
> contributors to biofilm research) were unable to attend. The acceptance of
> biofilms as a major aspect of microbiology was long overdue.
> Now to the future:
> What important research questions need to be addressed in biofilm research?
> To this end, I would like to challenge the members of this discussion group
> to give two aspects of biofilms that merit further research.
> Bob McLean

I believe biofilm research in the future should be more quantitative.
Quantitative analysis of biofilm structure; beyond beautiful pictures!
Quantitative work on pheromones in biofilms.

That's my $.02.

Jan Kreft

Dr. Jan-Ulrich Kreft			Phone +44 1222 874000 ext. 6036
Cardiff School of Biosciences		Fax   +44 1222 874305
Cardiff University			E-mail Kreft at
PO Box 915, Cardiff CF1 3TL, UK