New directions in biofilm research

Bob McLean RM12 at
Thu Aug 27 00:40:58 EST 1998

The Eighth International Symposium of Microbial Ecology (ISME8) held in
Halifax provided an excellent forum for highlighting the exciting new
developments in biofilm research. I wish to thank all who attended and
presented their work. In addition, many notable people (including some major
contributors to biofilm research) were unable to attend. The acceptance of
biofilms as a major aspect of microbiology was long overdue.

Now to the future:

What important research questions need to be addressed in biofilm research?
To this end, I would like to challenge the members of this discussion group
to give two aspects of biofilms that merit further research.

Bob McLean
R.J.C. (Bob) McLean, Ph.D.
Dept. Biology
Southwest Texas State University