high-throughput screening for antimicrobial proteins

xcheng at oreo.science.uottawa.ca xcheng at oreo.science.uottawa.ca
Mon Dec 7 07:24:48 EST 1998

Dear Netters,

I am looking for  high-throughput methods for isolating
gene coding for previously unknown  antimicrobial or antibacterial
proteins (peptides) from different sources. Routine methods involve
purification of tentative antimicrobial proteins from different
sources and test of the antimicrobial activity of the purified
proteins with different microbial inhibition methods, and cloning of
the genes using molecular biology method.  Due to the tedious process
in protein purification and vast number of proteins available, this
routine method could be highly inefficient in cloning of an novel
antimicrobial gene . Are you aware of any method which can identify
the antimicrobial genes in a straightforward way?

I appreciate very much of your input in my search efforts.

Xiongying Cheng