I'm having trouble memorizing virus families

JennyG my.email.address.is.doublehelix at poboxes.com
Wed Feb 4 09:45:38 EST 1998

I'm taking an undergraduate medical virology course this semester.  I
need to remember eighteen virus families, plus a few facts about each
one: whether they're DNA or RNA; single- or double-stranded; whether
they're naked, enveloped, or complex coated; and what kind of symmetry
they exhibit - helical, icosahedral, or complex symmetry.

There's got to be some way other than rote memory; I'm just not good
at that.  I need a method.

I've come up with a preliminary plan, to call single-stranded SUN (for
"one"), double-stranded SHOE (for "two"), to abbreviate DNA and RNA
with a "D" and an "R", and to abbreviate "E"nveloped, "N"aked, and
"C"omplex.

I'm at a loss as to how to do this!  Does anybody have any
suggestions?!?  My exam is in two weeks!

Thanks in Advance,
Jenny

Just for reference, here's the information I need to know:

Family:		Parvoviruses
Nucleic Acid:	single-stranded DNA
Coat:		Naked
Symmetry:	Icosahedral

Family:		Papovaviruses
Nucleic Acid:	double-stranded DNA (circular)
Coat:		Naked
Symmetry:	Icosahedral

Family:		Adenoviruses
Nucleic Acid:	double-stranded DNA
Coat:		Naked
Symmetry:	Icosahedral

Family:		Herpesviruses
Nucleic Acid:	double-stranded DNA
Coat:		Enveloped
Symmetry:	double-stranded DNA

Family:		Hepadnaviruses
Nucleic Acid:	double-stranded DNA (circular)
Coat:		Complex
Symmetry:	Complex

Family:		Poxviruses
Nucleic Acid:	double-stranded DNA
Coat:		Complex
Symmetry:	Complex

Family:		Picornaviruses
Nucleic Acid:	single-stranded RNA
Coat:		Naked
Symmetry:	Icosahedral

Family:		Caliciviruses
Nucleic Acid:	single-stranded RNA
Coat:		Naked
Symmetry:	Icosahedral

Family:		Reoviruses
Nucleic Acid:	double-stranded RNA (segmented)
Coat:		Naked
Symmetry:	Icosahedral

Family:		Togaviruses
Nucleic Acid:	single-stranded RNA
Coat:		Enveloped
Symmetry:	Icosahedral

Family:		Flaviviruses
Nucleic Acid:	single-stranded RNA
Coat:		Enveloped
Symmetry:	Complex

Family:		Arenaviruses
Nucleic Acid:	single-stranded RNA (segmented)
Coat:		Enveloped
Symmetry:	Complex

Family:		Coronaviruses
Nucleic Acid:	single-stranded RNA
Coat:		Enveloped
Symmetry:	Complex

Family:		Retroviruses
Nucleic Acid:	single-stranded RNA (diploid)
Coat:		Enveloped
Symmetry:	Complex

Family:		Bunyaviruses
Nucleic Acid:	single-stranded RNA (segmented)
Coat:		Enveloped
Symmetry:	Helical

Family:		Orthomyxoviruses
Nucleic Acid:	single-stranded RNA (segmented)
Coat:		Enveloped
Symmetry:	Helical

Family:		Paramyxoviruses
Nucleic Acid:	single-stranded RNA