Student health question

Fri Jan 23 10:21:57 EST 1998

I teach an introductory course in microbiology with an enrollment of 90.
One of
my students lacks a spleen, consequently I am wondering about the risk of
having this individual in the lab.  The organisms we use are E. coli,
Citrobacter, Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus epidermidis, Micrococcus
luteus, Micrococcus roseus, Proteus vulgaris, Proteus mirabilis, Enterobacter
aerogenes, Streptococcus mitis, Streptococcus salivarius, Pseudomonas
aeruginosa, Pseudomonas fluorescens, Bacillus subtilis, Bacillus
and Bacillus megaterium.  Generally we use the ATCC type strains of these

If anyone has any suggestions as to the risk of this student continuing in the
lab, I would greatly appreciate receiving them.

Bob McLean
Dept. Biology
Southwest Texas State University
San Marcos, Tx 78666