Can anyone clarify this?

Abdulhakim Mohammed mohdabdi at
Wed Apr 14 06:45:29 EST 1999

We can get drinking water from lakes, rivers, groundwater and from the
sea after the desalination process. My question is:
Is it important to do microbiological and chemical analysis to
desalinated water? Why? And what type of analysis should be done for
this type of water to be safe for human consumption?
What is the USEPA regulations and guidelines for standard plate count
(spread plate and pour plate counts)?
I hope some one will help me understand this problem. Thank you very
Best wishes,