The Biofilm Club in the UK

Julian Wimpenny WimpennyJ at cardiff.ac.uk
Mon Jan 11 13:58:16 EST 1999

<x-html><HTML>
<B><FONT SIZE=+2>To all biofilmers - everywhere!</FONT></B>

<P>The Biofilm Club was set up as the British Biofilm Club in 1992. Although
originally established for British biofilm researchers we soon dropped
the 'British' and made it open to people from all over the world. At present
we have 27 overseas out of about 200 members and are actively encouraging
more.

<P>We maintain a presence on the Web and you will find our home page on:
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<A
HREF="http://www.cf.ac.uk//biofilm_club/index.html">http://www.cf.ac.uk//bio
film_club/index.html</A>

<P>You will find quite a lot of useful information on the Web site but
I will give a brief precis of our activities now.

<P>1. We maintain a database of members. Our membership fee is &pound;15
(fifteen pounds sterling) for **2 years** and half price for bona fide
students.

<P>2. What do you get for your money?
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (i) At least three newsletters per annum
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (ii)&nbsp; A free copy of the book published *before*
our biennial meeting at Gregynog Hall in Wales. BBC1, 2 and 3 are published.
BBC4 will be published early in September <B>this year</B> and available
at the Gregynog meeting later in the month. The book itself retails for
around &pound;22 - 25 so that member ship is pretty good value! The contents
pages for each of the books published so far can be found on the Web site.
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (iii) A chance to attend the Gregynog meeting. Maximum
numbers around 100. Our very simple rules are that being prepared to give
a talk by submitting a title (so far) guarantees a place at the Gregynog
meeting. Even though we do not guarantee that you WILL be invited to give
a talk - this depends on the committee selecting a balanced programme from
all those who respond.
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; (iv) A chance to attend half or one day workshops
held three times each year. For topics and programmes see our Web site.
Our next workshop is on March 17th 1999 and the topics centre on modelling.
I'll send another message when this is finalised but it WILL be on the
Web.

<P>3. Our philosophy is one of simplicity. We DO NOT&nbsp; provide money
for any speakers. The Gregynog meeting is exceptionally good value. The
total cost which is full board for two full days will be around &pound;120
all in. This in a historic country manor house set in about 300 hectares
of beautiful grounds and will include an opportunity to take part in some
Welsh folk dancing called by David Stickler!

<P>4. To join send a letter and a cheque or money order&nbsp; <B>in sterling
</B>to:

<P>Dr Peter Gilbert
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical
Science
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; University of Manchester
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Oxford Road
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Manchester M13 9PL
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; UK
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Tel: (44)-161-275-2361
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Email:Pgilbert at man.ac.uk
<BR>&nbsp;

<P><I><FONT SIZE=+2>Julian Wimpenny</FONT></I>
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>
</x-html>