fatty acid extraction

Jaime Finguerut JAIME.CTTI-3.CTTI.CTC at azul.ctc.com.br
Tue Jan 12 06:19:35 EST 1999

Hello Mark Fuller and All:

Good to see that the biofilms list is not dead...
Coincidentally I asked a question in another list (Lactic Acid) about
the possibility of using fatty acid profiles for direct ID or
detection of bacteria in natural mixtures of bacteria and yeast that
occurs in our industrial alcoholic fermentation.
I mean, is it possible to extract the fatty acids directly from a
sample taken from the fermenters and have a positive ID or detecting
the presence of a bacteria even when there is a lot of yeast
together?
One researcher of the LAB list say that it is possible and he pointed
out a firm (MIDI?). Do you know it?
What do you think?

Best regards

jaime
------------------

> To:            nobody at net.bio.net
> From:          fuller at envirogen.com
> Subject:       fatty acid extraction
> Date:          Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:04:24 -0800

> Fellow scientists,
>
> I am working with bacterial fatty acids, and am quite familair with the
> literature.  However, I was wondering if anyone has heard of new,
> alternative methods for total fatty acid extraction.  I've been using
> the one-phase chloroform:methanol:buffer method, but I'd like to see if
> there is an alternative, maybe with a less-dense-than-water solvent
> which could be reovered without the use of a sep funnel.
>
> Any leads or refs much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Mark
> fuller at envirogen.com