internal cell pH

fuller at fuller at
Tue Jan 12 10:23:57 EST 1999

Just a general microbiology question that I haven't been able to find an
answer to...

How does internal cell pH of a bacterial cell usually compare to
external pH?  I know that cell pH is usually close to 7, but are there
shifts in this.  If the outside pH were say around 6, would the internal
pH shift to a little lower or a little higher than 7.  And vice versa if
the external pH were say 7.5-8.0?

Any and all responses much appreciated.

fuller at