IUBio

Definition of a biofilm - Again

Cindy MORRIS Cindy.Morris at avignon.inra.fr
Wed Jul 28 04:19:28 EST 1999

 >I think a critical aspect of a biofilm is not only the structural one
 >but also that there is a change in phenotype, that is, the cells
 >do something differently because of the environment created by the
 >other cells in the film. The term 'quorum sensing' is used to
 >describe this.

*** Quorum sensing, controlling density-dependent phenotypes, is only one
part of this modification. There are also synergistic interactions such as
the degradation of certain herbicides that none of the component bacterial
species can acheive on their own. Some of these interactions might not
necessarily be controlled by quorum sensing, but they represent phenotypes
of the biofilm that are not phenotypes of the component microorganisms.
Cindy Morris