Method of Quantification for biofilms.

Ian Goldberg naig at
Thu Mar 25 03:52:33 EST 1999

I am starting a project in biofilms and I want to begin by quantitating the
effect of various environment conditions (ie. temp, nutrients) on a single
species biofilm. Is there a standard method for doing this? Is the Lowry
method of protein quantification scientifically acceptable? Has anyone
trying the crystal violet method described by O'Toole, G. A., and R. Kolter.
1998. Flagellar and twitching motility are necessary for Pseudomonas
aeruginosa biofilm development. Mol. Microbiol.30:295-304?
I would appreciate any feedback.
K. Matejka