Biofouling in the Z-direction

Linnea Ista lkista at
Tue Jul 17 13:33:42 EST 2001

Hello everyone-

Someone just brought up something in our work group regarding the extent
of biofouling (say on an ocean liner) as one moves away from the surface
of the sea.  Several of us thought that soft fouling would be more
severe within the photic zone (due to algae and photsynthetic bacteria),
but one person maintained that it could be equally bad in the darker
areas of the vessel.

Does anyone know of information that can be obtained on populations of
organisms and their densities?  We would like to have some firm data to
continue our discussion.

Linnea Ista
University of New Mexico