Biofilm staining

Dr. S. Shapiro toukie at
Mon Jun 18 02:27:26 EST 2001

Dear Colleagues;

      I remember reading a while back that people have quantified biofilms
in glass or plastic vessels by first aspirating the planktonic cells, then
staining the adherent biofilm cells with a dye, and then measuring the
amount of dye, either as a thin film or following solubilisation.  However,
I have been unable to locate any such references.  If anyone is aware of
such references, would you be kind enough to contact me _directly_ at

toukie at

with a list of relevant citations?

Thanks in advance to all responders,

S. Shapiro