[Biofilms] compression test on biofilm

Ashkan Safari via biofilms%40net.bio.net (by Ashkan.Safari from ucd.ie)
Tue Mar 11 11:14:32 EST 2008

Dear all,

I am a mechanical engineer who is measuring biofilm mechanical properties. I
am currently doing compression tests on mixed biofilm. I have two questions:

1.	Biofilm used in the test is a few weeks old, do I expect to see big
difference in results when I do it on very fresh biofilm?
2.	I had a 100N load cell and I know sensitivity is low, does it affect
results in unacceptable way?
3.	Biofilm is placed in a glass container and I have a surface tension
problem and biofilm sticks to the glass wall, any recommendation to reduce
adhesion? I used PTFE lubricant but didn't work well.

Thanks in advance,

Ashkan Safari

PhD Research Student

UCD School of Electrical, Electronic and Mechanical Engineering

Room 314

University College Dublin

Belfield

Dublin 4

Ireland

Ph: +353 1 716 1880

Mob: +353 860867511

E-mail:  <mailto:Ashkan.Safari from ucd.ie> Ashkan.Safari from ucd.ie