Publishing electronic images

robert m straubinger rms at acsu.buffalo.edu
Mon Dec 3 12:08:59 EST 1990

In article <F5F7728D439F403BA3 at mbcl.rutgers.edu> SOFER at ANCHOR.RUTGERS.EDU (Bill Sofer) writes:

>My lab uses a high resolution CCD camera to capture grey scale
>images for analysis.
>	(stuff deleted)
>My problem is that such output appears to be unacceptable to
>most journals.
>	(stuff deleted)
> I am told that digitized images when subjected
>to the processes that printers ordinarily use to put grey scale
>pictures into journals produce moire patterns.

	We've had similar problems, but only with some journals. The moire
pattern you mention arises when (some) journals mask the images with
screens of varying density, then reshoot the image through the screen.
CCD images and photographs of monitors *have* regular horizontal/vertical
patterns (even if they look pretty good to the eye) and these elements produce
the moire pattern when screened. In some cases, the moire can be subtle,
and have the effect of creating details -- bands and new 'structures' in cells.
Our (low-tech) solutions include: (1) choose a journal that can print such
photos (I don't know why some journals are *much* better than others; I suspect
care and production methods); (2) call the journal and ask them to reshoot
(sometimes the improvement is amazing); (3) filter out the worst of the CCD
'cell' pattern that causes the moire -- smoothing/blurring/averaging
or fourier -- before producing the final copy you send the journal.
	Just wait 'till you try publishing color images; this is the only
way we can convey some kinds of information in our images, and the costs
are ASTRONOMICAL.

Bob Straubinger
Pharmaceutics, SUNY/Bflo
rms at acsu.buffalo.edu