Special purpose computer for genes from Applied Biosystems ?

Dan Davison davison at UHNIX2.UH.EDU
Fri Jan 12 12:39:21 EST 1990

> Has anyone out there heard about a special purpose computer for working
> with genes being developed by the California high tech firm Applied
> Biosystems? If someone knows of this project I would be gratefull to
> receive some information about it.

There are two things going on.  The first is some specialized software
that runs on the TRW Fast Data Finder, essentially a fast
string-matching massively parallel computer.  Last I knew the hw was
$25,000 and the sw another $25,000 (DOE pricing).

The second is a version of the FDF for biological pattern searching.
This chip is NOT yet available; Lee Hood said in in seminar here about
6 weeks ago that the masks are cut yet.  I had heard otherwise this
past summer, but I guess Hood should know.  The chip has some catchy
name like BSIF, and you can bet that it will be very expensive if it's
from ABI.

There are at least two other groups working on similar chips, but ABI
will probably have theirs on the market the earliest.

dan
Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77054-5500/davison at uh.edu/DAVISON at UHOU

"Mars is essentially in the same orbit...somewhat the same distance
from the sun, which is very important.  We have seen pictures where
there are canals, we believe, and water.  If there is water, that
means there is oxygen.  If oxygen, that means we can breathe" -- Vice
President Dan Quayle, Head of the National Space Council, when
questioned on CNN about why America should send a mission to Mars.
[Houston Post, Sun. Nov. 19, pg. C-1].

myself.