Special purpose computer for genes from Applied Biosystems ?

Bill Pearson wrp at krebs.acc.Virginia.EDU
Sat Jan 13 09:23:35 EST 1990

>Has anyone out there heard about a special purpose computer for working
>with genes being developed by the California high tech firm Applied
>Biosystems? If someone knows of this project I would be gratefull to
>receive some information about it.

	Applied Biosystems is apparently working on using a high speed
pattern matching chip developed for the military (?) or National Security
Agency (?) for scanning large databases of text.  Although this chip
has gotten a good deal of publicity, it is not clear that it is either
faster or better than current high-speed algorithms.

Bill Pearson