please distribute worldwide

Dennis Rasmussen dennisr at PRIMATE.WISC.EDU
Thu Jun 21 07:10:01 EST 1990

                  WISCONSIN REGIONAL PRIMATE RESEARCH CENTER
                              1223 Capitol Court
                       Madison, Wisconsin 53715-1299 USA
   Phones: Office (608)-263-3511 Secretary (608)-263-3500 FAX (608)-263-4031
              computer mail: dennisr at primate.wisc.edu (Internet)

June 21, 1990

Dear Colleague:

Ms. Etha Lohay-Kibasa, the Park Warden in Charge of Arusha National Park,
Tanzania, has approached me with the request to help her arrange a study tour
of National Parks in the United States.

I got to know Etha while I was working at the Gombe Stream National Park and
Mikumi National Park in Tanzania from 1974 to 1976 and I have maintained
contact with her since that time.  Etha was the second female graduate of the
Mweka College of Wildlife Management and is one of the more exceptional people
I have met during my field research.  She is dedicated, hard-working
empathetic and completely devoted to conservation.  She is a friend of
scientists and conservationists with unquestionable loyalty: When the
guerrilla's from Zaire attempted to capture Dr. Jane Goodall, Etha was one of
the people taken into custody; she had machine guns placed at her temples and
was told she would be killed if she failed to reveal the location of Dr.
Goodall.  She told the guerrilla's that Dr. Goodall was not at the camp (she
was).

I would like to help Etha make contact with our National Park Service and
develop the contacts within our country that will help her to more effectively
preserve what I feel one of the most beautiful spots on the earth, Arusha
National Park.  If you can provide information on appropriate funding
possibiilities, suggestions for contacts, or would be willing to help put
together a funding package for Etha, please reply to this message.

Etha is moderately facile with the English language and, of course, with
Kiswahili.  If you feel you might be able to help connect her with the
conservation community, you might write to her directly.  Her address is:

Etha Lohay Kibasa
Park Warden in Charge
Arusha National Park
P.O. Box 3134