Electronic biology journal?

Dan Davison davison at UHNIX2.UH.EDU
Sat Mar 10 01:44:26 EST 1990

> The editors of a specialty biology journal, Drosophila Information
> Service, are considering converting it from paper to electronic.
> Would anyone who has experience or views on the feasibility and
> desirability of an electronic biology journal please comment?

DIS is probably one of the best choices, besides the Worm Breeder's
Gazette. The main problem I see is Don's overoptimism about viewing
halftone and photographs via GIF viewers.  That that GIF is the
problem.  But who will handle the mundane scanning of the line
drawings of mutants, halftones of chromosome hybridizations, and
photographs?  Prospective authors will almost certainly not have the
equipment to perform the scanning.  If someone else scans for them,
the authors would have to be consulted, to make sure that the items of
interest in the figures actually appear properly in the scanned
images.

It's a new, different level of problems, but it's time to start!

---
Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77054-5500/davison at uh.edu/DAVISON at UHOU

"...and newspapers have an obligation to protect young, innocent minds
from the sinister influence of actual thought"  Bill Watterson ("Calvin
& Hobbes") on "Pogo".

myself.