Electronic publication

David Kristofferson kristoff at genbank.bio.net
Fri Oct 5 11:37:52 EST 1990

> I repeat my position (mentioned a couple days ago): Until the USA has a
> high speed, near universal, commerical (or semi-commerical) network the
> concept of an electronic journal is just a dream, no matter what nifty
> hardware devices or software we envision using.

I tend to agree for any journal of major significance.  Copyright
issues are also a major problem for electronic distribution.  However,
I think it is still possible for smaller groups such as BIO-MATRIX to
have their own specialty electronic journals.  I would not be
surprised if the readership of BIOSCI, for example, is larger than
that of CABIOS.  A moderated newsgroup would require a donation of
time by some prominent scientists who would agree to review electronic
papers and then post them to the newsgroup.  This would not be flashy
production, but it might work in small, but computer literate
specialties.
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson