Electronic publication

Rick Westerman westerm at aclcb.purdue.edu
Wed Oct 3 10:23:07 EST 1990

>	Think about it.  Do you think it's a good idea?  Do you think it
>could be made to work in a year?  Two years?  Five?  Ten?  Twenty?  What if

10 years, at least.

>the technical problems could be solved today, say by magically putting a 10
>MIPS Megapixel greyscale X terminal on everybody's desk, with universal T1 or
>better connectivity?

A major problem is the connectivity and recovery of costs. Until the USA
has a fast universal network (such as Internet) where commerical interests are
allowed to recover costs (like CompuServe, Genie, etc.) -- and a commerical
interest is needed for a good journal; someone has to pay for the
editing/layup/etc. -- the journal won't be feasible. True, there is the
technical problems of a univeral format for figures and technical problem
of displaying the journal, but in my opinion, these problems pale in
comparision of the political problem of universal, cost-recovery, networking.

-- Rick

Rick Westerman                        AIDS Center Laboratory for Computational
Internet: westerm at aclcb.purdue.edu    Biochemistry, Biochemistry building,
(317) 494-0505                        Purdue University, W. Lafayette, IN 47907